Heart Racing? Check!
Pale or flushed? Check!
That’s your ‘fight or flight’ (or acute stress response) triggered and whilst it may have been helpful to our ancient ancestors in deciding whether to fight that sabre tooth tiger or run for their lives; it’s probably not helping you in this period of uncertainty.
At the best of times uncertainty is difficult and uncomfortable but throw in a global pandemic and the challenges its presenting to small business owners and it can be overwhelming and frankly exhausting both physically and emotionally.
The good news is that there are ways to navigate these thoughts and feelings to help you feel more in control and make clearer, calmer and effective decisions about your business.
“Uncertainty and emergent change” by Ranjit Sidhu at ChangeQuest provides some top tips on how to build resilience for yourself and employees including:
• Building self-esteem – so we have a stronger sense of self and don’t feel so threatened by uncertainty
• Developing a sense of purpose – it is motivating to be reaching towards something meaningful
• Maintaining autonomy – to keep a sense of control and that we have some choice
• Finding a few things over which you can be certain – again to feel some level of control
• Securing a sense of equity – because nothing makes us feel threatened faster than feeling we are being treated unfairly
• Social connection – we are social beings and it feels nice to know others have our back
To read more about this click here
If its financial pressures you’re facing and you could use some straightforward, honest and practical advice, then give us a call on 01252 612484.